Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2011

A can by any other name... is sweeter!!!


So in other news, canned fruit is sneaky!!
I bought two small cans of crushed pineapple yesterday from two brands, Delmont and one from Dole. I wonder what's up with them both starting with "D"..

I wanted to compare them for taste. I noticed they had different nutritional values (points), which I though odd.. one was worth 1 extra point for a cup of fruit. Looking closer, I noticed that the Pineapples grown in the Philippines have more sugar than those grown in Thailand, so they count higher. Of course, before even looking at this, my tongue chose the sweeter pineapple in my taste test... no surprise there! But a word to the wise... which I guess most of you already knew... the same product from different companies will have different points values. So I guess it's worth it to figure them out while in the grocery stores. Have fun!

No comments: